Spain deports 11-M convict back to native Morocco

Rafá Zouhier served 10 years for his role in supplying the Madrid bombers with dynamite

In this video supplied by the Spanish authorities, Rafá Zouhier is escorted onto a plane to be deported to Morocco (no sound).

Rafá Zouhier, who served 10 years for aiding the Islamist terrorists who blew up a series of commuter trains in Madrid on March 11, 2004, was released from prison this weekend and immediately deported to his native Morocco.

He is the fourth convict to walk out of prison after serving their sentences for participating in the attacks, which killed 191 people and injured more than 1,800. The massacre has come to be known as 11-M, after the date on which it took place.

Zouhier was placed inside a police van at around 1am on Sunday and immediately driven out of Puerto I penitentiary in El Puerto de Santa María (Cádiz), avoiding journalists who had gathered there to get a glimpse of him. At around 2.30am he was taken to Tangier.

The trial that followed the terrorist attacks found Zouhier guilty of acting as an intermediary between the Islamist cell that planted the bombs on the trains, and a Spanish miner who supplied the dynamite.

Interior Minister Jorge Fernández Díaz stated last week that Zouhier would be expelled from Spain as soon as he was out, as requested by the 11-M victims’ associations. The heads of the two main support groups, AVT and Asociación 11-M Afectados por el Terrorismo, expressed satisfaction over the deportation, the news service Efe reported.

But Zouhier’s defense lawyer, Antonio Alberca, said his client’s “fundamental rights" had been violated and that he should have been eligible for EU rights because he married a Spanish woman a month ago.

Last week, Zouhier wrote an open letter from jail addressed to Spanish society in general. In it, he said: “I am coming out of this unfair conviction with a super-clean conscience. I didn't hurt anybody, much less those people who treated me well. I was never your enemy.” The letter did not ask for forgiveness, instead telling the victims that they were “victims of a brutal attack and of a justice system at the service of those who had all the necessary information to prevent your pain.”

Para poder comentar debes estar registrado en Eskup y haber iniciado sesión

Darse de alta ¿Por qué darse de alta?

Otras noticias

Últimas noticias

Ver todo el día

Presos invisibles en Río de Janeiro

Unos 4000 encarcelados no existen para el Estado

Mirotic sobrevuela el duelo de los Gasol

Las actuaciones de Butler y del expívot del Madrid propician el triunfo de los Bulls

Así cayó el Muro del Caribe

Un consejero de Obama y un diplomático hispano de EE UU fraguaron con los negociadores cubanos en nueve reuniones el acercamiento entre ambos países

Agentes del CNI, grabados mientras grababan al 'pequeño Nicolás'

La cinta clandestina, a la que ha tenido acceso EL PAÍS, ha sido entregada al juzgado que investiga los posibles delitos de Francisco Nicolás Gómez

LATIN AMERICA

US and Cuba to start talks to normalize relations

Announcement from White House comes after news that US contractor Alan Gross has been freed by Havana

“Isolation has not worked,” says Obama in TV address

US and Cuban presidents take to airwaves to make simultaneous statements on the way forward for relations

Colombia’s FARC guerrillas declare unilateral and indefinite ceasefire

Government must decide whether to do the same or risk ending truce

Lo más visto en...

» Top 50

Webs de PRISA

cerrar ventana