INDUSTRIAL DISPUTE

"Black march" meets thin blue line as Madrid mining protest turns ugly

Seventy-six injured in clashes between marchers and police in capital

Seventy-six people were injured and eight arrested in Wednesday’s protest. / BERNARDO PÉREZ

Two days after the central government delegate in Madrid, Cristina Cifuentes, noted that the “black march” organized by protesting miners had been entirely without incident, the denouement of the 430-kilometer journey descended into violence in the center of the capital.

The 200 marchers were joined by thousands of sympathizers and members of the labor unions as they marched from Colón square to the doors of the Industry Ministry along nearby Paseo de la Castellana on Wednesday. Among the newcomers were members of the 15-M protest movement, teachers protesting cuts in education, families and politicians. Also among the throng — which the CCOO and UGT labor union expected to be 25,000 strong, although no official figures were available — were what an Interior Ministry spokesman described as “anti-system groups, armed with bottle rockets and bricks.”

Shortly after the march arrived at the Industry Ministry, violent clashes between police and protestors began to erupt. Some marchers attempted to break through the police barrier outside the ministry and all sorts of objects were hurled at security forces. Of the 76 people injured in the clashes, 42 were protestors and 33 were police officers. Also hurt in the mêlée was a photographer working for an online publication based in Asturias, one of the regions worst affected by the proposed cut of 63 percent in subsidies to the industry this year, which the sector fears would augur the end of coal mining in Spain.

Police made eight arrests — none of which were of miners — and employed rubber bullets after firing several warning salvos.

The black march had set out from coal mining regions across Spain — Asturias, León, Palencia and Aragon — with the intention of making its voice heard. “We’re like the Spanish football team, without dropping a cup,” joked Faustino Balaguer as he departed Puerta del Sol square on Tuesday evening at the beginning of the night protest march organized by the miners.

Thousands of supporters greeted the marchers with cries of “champions” and “this is our team,” inspired by Spain’s recent European success. Firefighters also joined the march as its numbers swelled ahead of the planned Wednesday stretch between Colón and the Industry Ministry, which was headed by the 200-odd veterans of the black march. “You are the pride of the working-class struggle,” was one of the most repeated slogans shouted by civilian participants.

“Coming here is the most honorable thing I have done in many years,” said Luis, a miner who had arrived on one of the 500 buses organized by mines across the country to ferry more protestors to the capital. “Our demands are justified.”

José Manuel Martínez, 12, was under no illusions as to why his father had brought him to Madrid. “If they close the mines, we’ll lose our homes,” he said.

The secretary generals of the UGT and CCOO labor unions, Cándido Méndez and Ignacio Toxo, who marched behind the leading miners, accused the government of bringing the conflict upon itself by acting with “injustice, insensitivity and a complete lack of intelligence” in its dealings with the sector.

No representative of the Industry Ministry, headed by José Manuel Soria, agreed to meet with the protestors on Wednesday.

 

Para poder comentar debes estar registrado en Eskup y haber iniciado sesión

Darse de alta ¿Por qué darse de alta?

Otras noticias

Últimas noticias

Ver todo el día

Jamie Cullum y John Zorn, las primeras estrellas del Jazzaldia

El festival anuncia los primeros nombres de su 50 edición

Villarreal-Sevilla, duelo español en octavos de la Liga Europa

La Liga se asegura un representante en cuartos en una ronda con emparejamientos muy interesantes: Fiorentina-Roma, Zenit Torino o Wolfsburgo-Inter

El consejero delegado de Applus multiplica su sueldo por diez

Fernando Basabe percibió casi 11 millones de euros por la salida a Bolsa del grupo. La compañía abonó 830000 euros a Coello tras dejar la presidencia

EL PAÍS RECOMIENDA

Fotogalería | Gaza, seis meses después de la guerra

La reconstrucción de la Franja avanza lenta al cumplirse medio año del choque entre palestinos e israelíes

La esperanza de vida aumenta más de 40 años en un siglo

Jaime Prats Valencia

"La mitad de los nacidos hoy llegarán a los 100 años", dice un demógrafo

Lo más visto en...

» Top 50


Webs de PRISA

cerrar ventana