Council of Europe slams Spain’s navy for not saving Libyan refugees

Spanish frigate Méndez Núñez said to have ignored distress call

Boat was carrying 72 people fleeing Gaddafi regime, only nine of whom survived

The Spanish frigate Méndez Núñez. / J. C. FERRERA MARTÍNEZ  (MINISTERIO DE DEFENSA)

Spain “failed to act in accordance with [its] search and rescue obligations” last March when it ignored a call to help a boat filled with 72 refugees fleeing Libya during the uprising against the Gaddafi regime, a report released on Thursday by the Council of Europe (CE) concludes.

The 24-page document prepared by the CE’s Committee on Migration, Refugees and Displaced Persons focuses on an event in which no NATO-member ships answered a distress call to help the fleeing refugees. Only nine people survived.

The Spanish frigate Méndez Núñez was 11 nautical miles from the boat when a distress call was made by the Italian Maritime Rescue Coordination Center (MRCC).

“Given the Méndez Núñez’s distance from the boat, it seems that it could have reached the boat in distress in less than two hours. It remains unclear why NATO, or the Méndez Núñez itself, failed to provide this information to the Rome MRCC following the launch of the distress alert. What is clear is that no attempt was made by the Spanish vessel to approach the boat,” reads the report.

Despite the findings, a Defense Ministry spokesman said the Méndez Núñez “received no news from anyone that there was a boat in need near its periphery, and if it had, it would have gone to its rescue.”

The boat had left Tripoli on March 26, 2011 carrying 50 men and 20 women, along with two babies. Fifteen days later, only nine survivors were found.

At least 1,500 people are known to have lost their lives trying to cross the Mediterranean last year, the CE committee says.

Para poder comentar debes estar registrado en Eskup y haber iniciado sesión

Darse de alta ¿Por qué darse de alta?

Otras noticias

Últimas noticias

Ver todo el día

José Francisco Valls, nombrado ponente de la querella por el 9-N

El tribunal encargado de admitir o no la causa también estará constituido por el presidente del TSJC, Miguel Ángel Gimeno

Defensa estudia el cierre del centro de formación de San Fernando

Indignación en el municipio isleño por la posible pérdida de otro referente militar

La Audiencia apunta a Rato como responsable de las tarjetas opacas

EFE

La sala de lo penal ha confirmado la fianza de tres millones que el juez Fernando Andreu impuso al expresidente de Bankia

Los sindicatos deciden mantener los paros en Osakidetza

EFE

La reunión de la mesa sectorial no consigue el acercamiento de posturas

LATIN AMERICA

Mexicans say “enough is enough” at huge protest rally

Tens of thousands from all walks of life call for changes to prevent a repeat of Iguala missing students case

Venezuela’s Maduro creates major anti-corruption body

The president’s new organization will have the power to investigate and sanction corrupt individuals

Colombia and FARC negotiate hostage release to unblock stalled peace talks

Army general and four others due for imminent release, say guarantors

Mexico’s First Lady to sell her controversial luxury home

Former soap star Angélica Rivera defends President Peña Nieto’s “integrity” and denies any conflict of interest

Lo más visto en...

» Top 50

Webs de PRISA

cerrar ventana